Fort Wayne Museum of Art
311 East Main Street Fort Wayne, IN 46802
Phone: (260) 422-6467
The Fort Wayne Museum of Art’s permanent collection consists of nearly 1,400 American paintings, sculpture, drawings, prints and photographs. The museum’s collection includes primarily American created after 1850. Significant works include paintings by Janet Fish, William Forsyth, George Inness, Thomas Moran and Larry Rivers; sculpture by Mark di Suvero and George Rickey; and a collection of 56 Indiana Amish quilts.
The Fort Wayne Museum of Art began as a series of informal art classes in drawing and painting, in 1888 taught by J. Ottis Adams and later by William Forsyth. The classes became more formal and the name changed to The Fort Wayne Museum of Art School.
A collection of ten paintings was donated by Theodore Thieme in 1921 changing the function from art classes to more of a museum for art. Later, Thieme also donated his residence to the city and the museum had a permanent home.
The museum split with the art school in 1977, in which the school became a department of Indiana University Purdue University at Fort Wayne. The museum is now housed in a 1984 facility and is committed to exhibiting and collecting works of American artists.
The Fort Wayne Museum of Art is committed to presenting aesthetically significant exhibitions and educational programs aiming to attract interest and have meaning for the many diverse audiences it serves.
The goals of the Museum include continually expanding the public's understanding and appreciation of American visual Art, developing our infrastructure to better support our mission, and becoming the energetic nucleus of the visual arts community.
The Museum continues to renovate, upgrade, and improve the services it offers to the community.